John Giba Student Leadership Award Program
The John Giba Student Leadership Award Program awarded by the Palm Beach North Chamber of Commerce Foundation exists to encourage, recognize and reward selected area High School seniors who have demonstrated strong leadership potential through a combination of scholastic excellence, community service, and extra-curricular activities. The Chamber Foundation recognizes these students at the Annual Education Awards membership breakfast with a plaque and a monetary gift. Money for the gifts is derived from the income of an Endowment Program established under the Chamber Foundation, a private non-profit foundation.
John C. Giba, a Jupiter-Tequesta businessman, believed in the importance of student leadership through education. The Chamber Foundation was formed to oversee the endowment established by Mr. Giba’s donation, and is committed to investing in the educational future of our youth.
The selection process will include an interview with the Palm Beach North Chamber of Commerce Foundation’s Selection Sub-Committee. Several scholarships ranging from $1500 to $3000 will be awarded.
The application, selection criteria and checklist can be found in the following documents:
Recipients of the Student Leadership Awards must:
- Reside in or attend school in one of the municipalities served by the Palm Beach North Chamber of Commerce: Mangonia Park, Riviera Beach, Palm Beach Shores, Lake Park, North Palm Beach, Palm Beach Gardens, Jupiter, Tequesta, Juno Beach, Jupiter Inlet Colony
- Be a high school senior
- Complete and submit an application signed by his/her School Principal
Recipients will be selected based on the following criteria:
- Demonstrated leadership experience that significantly impacts his/her school and/or community
- Outstanding academic excellence (minimum 3.0 high school GPA)
- Evidence of significant community service done during the high school career
- Involvement in school-based or community extra-curricular activities that demonstrate leadership qualities
*Please note that due to the Corona Virus, the below dates may change and
interviews will be scheduled via phone or video
January 3, 2020: Applications available online
Friday, May 1, 2020 by 5 p.m.: Applications DUE
May 1- May 7, 2020: Applications are reviewed
May 8 – May 20: Finalists interviewed by committee
By June 1, 2020: Recipients are notified
June 3, 2020: Education Awards breakfast (recipients recognized)